Mon, 16 March 2015
This episode focuses on Newspaper Research.
· Google Newspaper Archive – free, 1700s-2009, worldwide coverage, OCR. https://news.google.com/newspapers
· Fulton History – free, 1795-2007, but almost exclusively New York State, OCR. http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
· Elephind – free, 1803-present, OCR. Over 2700 titles, of which over 1000 are from Chronicling America. Includes Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. https://www.elephind.com
· GenealogyBank (personal subscription, $20/month, $70/annual, over 7000 titles, 1690-present) and America’s GenealogyBank (library subscription, over 4200 titles, 1690-1922) – product of NewsBank, OCR. http://www.genealogybank.com
· ProQuest Historical Newspapers (library subscription only) – major U.S. cities, international newspapers, African-American newspapers, Jewish newspapers. OCR.
· Newspapers.com (personal subscription, $8/month, $80/annual, over 3400 titles, 1700s-2000s) – OCR. http://www.newspapers.com
· NewspaperARCHIVE.com (personal subscription, $100/6 months, over 6200 titles, 1607-present) – OCR. http://newspaperarchive.com
· Access World News (library subscription, over 2400 titles) – 1977-present, product of NewsBank, born digital.
For additional reading, we recommend:
Breland, Claudia C. Searching for Your Ancestors in Historic Newspapers. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. 2014.