This week's news includes:
- GenSoftReviews.com presents one of its 2009 Users Choice Awards to RootsMagic.
- PBS debuts its new genealogy show, "Faces of America," on
February 10, 2010, hosted by Harvard scholar Dr. Henry Louis Gates,
- ScotlandsPeople announces new images of the Statutory Registers
for Births (1909), Marriages (1934), and Deaths (1959) at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
- The Iowa Genealogical Society Library suffered damage last week
when part of its roof collapsed as a result of snow and rain.
- The Bartholomew County Historical Society in Columbus, Indiana,
estimates a loss of as many as 75,000 items in a fire that
destroyed the United Way building in which part of its collection
- The Allen County Public Library has a new blog and a page on Facebook!
This week's listener email includes:
- Michelle asks whether there is a search facility of the LDS
Family History Library that allows people to determine what Family
History Center(s) have a specific microfilm available for
- Pamela asks about the origin of the forename "Green
- Scott joins the ranks of The Genealogy Guys Podcast fans who
have listened to every episode.
- Katie is researching her McCahan line and discusses that, and
she follows up on our discussion of business records by sharing a
link to the "Business Archives Scotland" blog (see http://tinyurl.com/ScotlandBusArch).
- Lee explored the Google Archives in search of an obituary in
the St. Petersburg Times
for his Great Aunt Gertrude Mitzner; and he asks about the
availability of single census record information from post-1930
U.S. federal censuses.
- Margaret asks for suggestions about her research in the
Philadelphia area into the Rimbey family.
- Linda has hit a brick wall with her great-grandparents' burial
location in California and asks for suggestions.
- The Missouri State Genealogical Society is trying to contact
authors of articles for the Missouri State Genealogical
Association Quarterly Journal. Many have already generously
given permission to allow the society to place Journal
articles online, but the organization is seeking to find other
authors to gain their permission.
George discusses his project over the holidays to work through his
unfiled genealogical materials. He describes the process and what
he has done in data entry, obtaining digital images, adding source
citations, and more in order to prepare for filing all these
The Guys are headed to Salt Lake City this coming weekend for the
annual Winter Retreat which coincides with the Salt Lake Institute
classes. Following that, Drew is headed to Boston for the American
Library Association's Midwinter Conference.
George will be at the following locations giving presentations:
January 16th - Sarasota Genealogical Society
January 30th - Palm Beach County Genealogical Society
February 6th - Highlands County [FL] Genealogical Society
Drew will be at the Englewood Genealogical Society of Florida
He and Drew will both be sailing and presenting on the RootsMagic
Valentine's Day Cruise
to the Western Caribbean.
Stop by and see us!