Jun 25, 2021
We gave away two copies of Genealogical Publishing Company’s
Russia Genealogy Research at a glance reference guide and
announced the winners.
News You Can Use and Share
- The Genealogy Guys Podcast is one of Family Tree
Magazine's 101 Best Websites 2021. See full list at https://www.familytreemagazine.com/best-genealogy-websites/.
- MyHeritage announced its new Photo Repair tool.
- The FamilySearch Family History Library is reopening 6 July
- The Society of Genealogists announces that negotiations for a
new home are underway.
- 1871 Irish Census transcriptions for the Roman Catholic parish
of Drumconrath are now online at http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635150#page/5/mode/1up.
- The Early British Census project is now online at http://ebc.byu.edu.
- A new webpage has been launched for the Maps for Local History
at the National Library of Scotland at https://maps.nls.uk/communities/local-history/.
- NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has a backlog
of 500,000 outstanding records inquiries. It is estimated that it
will take 18-24 months to resolve the backlog.
- The British Library and Findmypast have announced the renewal
of their long-term partnership to digitize the British Newspaper
Archive and make it available online.
- Findmypast has added new collections or new records to:
Middlesex Baptisms; Carmarthenshire, Wales, Parish Records;
Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Registers; Yorkshire Monumental
Inscriptions; England Roman Catholic Parish Registers; and Crime,
Prisons & Punishment records and mugshots.
- More than 400,000 naturalization records for the Bronx and
Queens, New York, will become available online as part of a new
- FamilySearch International announced the release of the
FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0 standard. The new data standard will
accommodate media and other data in addition to text. Developers
will certainly be busy programming to implement the new GEDCOM
- Drew recaps the vast new and expanded collections at
DNA Segment with Diahan Southard
Drew discusses working with distant matches with Diahan.
- Jean congratulated us on our inclusion in Family Tree
Magazine’s 101 Best Genealogy Websites. She also shared that she
had success with using the old Ancestry message boards to locate a
- Donna Moughty won one of the Russia Genealogy Research
guides and it gave her the incentive to restart her research into
her grandfather who was born in what now is Ukraine. She also has a
few openings for her Ireland research trips this October. Learn
more at https://www.irishfamilyroots.com/
or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graeme wrote about the discovery of 215 unmarked graves on the
property of a residential school in Canada for indigenous children.
He asked Drew for what processes of investigating and repatriating
the children’s remains can be used.
- Tom wrote about his DNA research for his wife’s biological
Thank you to all our Patreon supporting members for their
support. Your Patreon support helps us improve our technology and
provide even more podcast content to you! You can join us
for as little as $1 a month or as much as you’d like to contribute.
to get started.
You should also tell your friends or your society about our free
podcasts, our free blog, and our
Genealogy Guys Learn
subscription education website.
Let us hear from you at email@example.com.
George and Drew are available for virtual presentations
for your local society. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.